Planning to go on a US trip to unwind from the hubbub of city life? Now that travel restrictions have been relaxed; it’s as good a time as any to voyage outside India. Start packing your bags, make the itinerary, and plan your trip to the States. And if you need extra cash to fund your travel, a personal loan for travel can also come to your rescue.
However, while all these steps are essential, there’s one more that you must not forget: getting your US tourist visa. Read on to know all about obtaining a US tourist visa from India.
What is a US tourist visa?
The US tourist visa is an official document that allows you to visit the USA legally. There are two types of tourist visas based on the purpose of your visit:
- B1 Visa for business purposes
- B2 Visa for tourism purposes
Are you eligible to get a US tourist visa?
You must fulfil the following eligibility criteria to avail of the US tourist visa:
- You must be an Indian citizen
- You must have a valid passport
- You must have a valid ID proof, such as a PAN/Aadhaar/Voter ID card
- You must not have a criminal background
Additional Read: Top Things to Consider before Traveling to the USA
US tourist visa requirements
To get a visa for USA from India, you must qualify under the Immigration and Nationality Act’s provisions. For this, you must:
- Show proof that you are a resident of India
- Display the purpose of your visit
- Make clear that you plan to visit the USA for a limited or specified duration only
How to apply?
- Visit the US Consular Electronic Application Centre’s website.
- Fill up the DS-160 visa application form.
- Sign the form digitally and submit it after uploading your passport-size photo.
- You can pay the visa processing fees within 48 hours after form submission.
- Next, print out the DS-160 confirmation page containing the barcode and keep it safe till you reach the USA.
- After your submission, you must attend the two interviews to qualify for the visa.
- The first one will be to collect your photograph and fingerprints, and the second will be to know more about you, including your trip’s duration, purpose, and funding. Here, you can also mention if you're taking a personal loan for travel to fund your trip.
Additional Read: Tips on Planning the Budget for Your Travel Plan
A few tips to keep in mind
- You must keep all the required documents handy. These include your original valid passport, proof of visa fee payment, business card (if any), detailed itinerary, copy of your last year’s tax payment, TAX ID, etc.
- When applying for a US tourist visa, your visit’s purpose shouldn’t involve business, work, or study.
Apart from the trip itself, obtaining a tourist visa is a costly affair too. However, you can easily get additional funds with Tata Capital’s collateral-free and affordable personal finance solutions. Check our loan offerings, repayment options, and personal loan interest rates.