Policies, Codes & Other Documents
Technical textiles are a rapidly expanding sub-segment used in various industries. India is the world's second-largest manufacturer of polyester and is currently growing as a prominent player in the technical textiles sector, with a market value of $1.9 billion. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) launched the National Technical Textiles Mission, a non-profit organisation committed to technical textile progress, to make India a leading country in technical textiles.
Technical textiles products are created from natural and artificial fibres such as Nomex, Kevlar, Spandex, and Twaron, which have better functional features such as higher toughness, superior insulation, improved heat resistance, and so on. These goods are used in various non-traditional textile industries, including medical, construction, automobiles, aircraft, sports, defence, and agriculture.
Countries orient their sectors to accept technical textiles in response to new improvements. This movement is also seen in India's textile industry, which is transitioning from traditional to technical textiles.
Technical textile is a high upfront industry rapidly expanding in India. Technical textile products are functional fabrics used in various sectors such as vehicles, civil engineering, building, agriculture, healthcare, industrial safety, etc. Based on consumption, there are 12 technical textile segments:
|Segments||List of Products|
|Agrotech||FishnetsAgro-textile kitsMicro-irrigation setsShade nets|
|Meditech||Nonwoven fabrics, Surgical masksSurgical itemsPPE KitsKneecaps|
|Buildtech||TarpaulinsAcrylic Board with Poster Printing, Fly TentsHDPE Tarpaulins|
|Clothtech||TrousersKhaki Drill FabricsUniform ClothSports Jersey|
|Oekotech||Water RecyclingCanal Lining, Dam embankmentDeep scoured bed of Feeder Canal|
|Geotech||Polypropylene Woven Geotextiles, Polyester Multifilament Woven GeotextilesGeotextile matsWoven coir matsCoir fibre logs|
|Packtech||Packing Materials like NonWoven cloth bags, HDPE Bags|
|Hometech||FlooringMattressesCarpetsSports JerseyRubber coirRexine Cloth|
|Protech||Bullet Proof Jackets and Bullet Proof HelmetsFlame Resistant Fabric, Bullet Proof Jackets, and Bullet Proof HelmetsAngola drab poly wool fabric for man’s shirt, Fabric for winter suits|
|Indutech||Oil FiltersBraided Teflon/PTFE Hose PipesConveyor BeltsTwine Jute 3 Ply, Jute Felts|
|Sportech||Hockey sticks and ballsFootballs|
The Ministry of Textiles created this initiative to position India as a worldwide leader in technical textiles. The annual value of this project is about 14,000 crores. National Technical Textiles Mission intends to increase this value to 20,000 crores by 2021-22 and provide an average of 10% annual export growth until 2023-24.
● The project's primary aim is for India to be ranked first in the world in technical textiles.
● The mission is to expand the country's penetration of technical textiles.
● The Indian government wishes to increase the worldwide market for technical textiles.
● The mission's goal is to increase agricultural output.
● Research and Development: National technical textiles mission ministry will spend ₹1,000 crores on research, development, and innovation. The research on fibres helps in geo, agro, medical, sports, and mobile textile applications, creating biodegradable technological textiles. It also focuses on the design of indigenous machinery and industrial equipment.
● Promotion and Market Expansion: In this phase, the ministry boosts consumer awareness, attracts large-scale investments, and promotes high-end technical textiles.
● Export: It will include an emphasis on export promotion to raise technical textile exports from ₹14,000 crores to ₹20,000 crores by 2021-2022, with a 10% annual growth rate maintained till the Mission is finished. An export promotion committee for technical textiles will be formed.
● Education, Training, and Skill Development: The final component will be education, training, and developing skills. The goal is to empower technical education in technical textiles and their uses at the highest levels of engineering & science.
The Ministry will carry out its goal through a three-tier institutional system comprised of the following organisations:
The National Technical Textile Mission is meant to create chances for the national technological and textile industry's progress and expansion. The primary goal is to promote re-orientation and modernisation of the textile sector's producing cycle to become competitive in the worldwide market. Under this initiative, the National Technical Textiles Mission Ministry offers data analytics, scientific consultant, and consultant positions. It’s an excellent chance for everyone to get involved in the public sector and make India a leader in the textile industry.
Tata Capital supports the government’s mission and provides a wide range of business loan offerings for start-ups and new entrepreneurs.
Policies, Codes & Other Documents