Do you own a commercial or residential property or land? Are you looking to buy one? Well, then you should know that you must get it registered mandatorily.
Section 17 of the Registration Act, 1908 requires all buyers to get their property registered. This also applies to registration of land. Although you will ultimately have to make an appointment to visit the sub-registrar’s office, many steps of the property registration process can be completed online, from the comfort of your home.
Not only does digitalization of the registration process offer convenience, but it also eliminates the middlemen. This provides for transparency in valuation.
Let us now go through the process of property registration online, what steps you need to follow, and what documents you need.
You can only apply for property registration online in selected states
You can apply for property registration online, but only in selected states. If you see your state listed here, visit the corresponding website for further instructions on how to do property registration in that particular state.
|State||Website (For online property registration and online land registration)|
If your state is not listed here, you will have to follow the offline route.
Can the end to end property registration be completed online?
No, you can only complete the process partially through the given websites.
Note that even for the states listed above, only the following parts of the registration process can be completed online:
- Getting the Encumbrance Certificate (EC) for your property
- Getting the Completion Certificate (CC) for your property
- Finding out the circle rate in the area to decide the total value of your property.
- Calculating the stamp duty and registration charge amount
- Paying the stamp duty and registration charge online and getting a receipt for the same.
- Making an appointment to visit the sub-registrar’s office for the final property registration
How to book an appointment with the sub-registrar online
To book an appointment with the sub-registrar, you must pay the stamp duty and registration charges online. And if the value of the deal exceeds Rs. 50 lakhs, the buyer will have to pay 1% TDS on the property value. This TDS must also be paid online but a printed receipt needs to be produced for physical verification.
Since stamp duty varies based on various factors, it is prudent to calculate your stamp duty charges in advance. Use a stamp duty calculator to make the process easier. Enter your state, city, area, gender, property age, and other details and you will get to know how much stamp duty you will need to pay.
Additional Read: How to do Registration of a New House?
Property details required for registration
When you reach the property details section of the property registration process, you will need to enter the following information about the property:
- Movable property or immovable property
- Agricultural land or non-agricultural land (in case of online land registration)
- Residential property or commercial property
- Revenue district
- Registration district
- SRO office
- Area name or apartment name
- Region type
- Property type
- Property number type
- Property number
Documents required for online land registration or property registration
Finally, when you complete the online process and make an appointment with the sub-registrar’s office, make sure you keep the following documents ready:
- Duly prepared sale deed on non-judicial stamp papers worth the deal value
- Two passport size photographs on both copies of documents (buyer and seller)
- E-Stamp paper with the right value of stamp duty
- E-Registration receipt of registration fee with an undertaking
- Copy of PAN card
- Original ID proof of all parties (buyer, seller, and witness)
- Receipt of TDS in case property is worth more than Rs. 50 lakhs
Additional Read: What is a Stamp Duty? How to Calculate Stamp Duty Online?
Even though you can complete a significant part of the process online, getting your property registered can still be a complex and cumbersome task. But getting a home loan doesn’t have to be, especially with Tata Capital.
We offer attractive home loan interest rates with minimal documentation and zero paperwork .With strong after-sales service, years of experience in the industry and over 15 lakh satisfied customers, Tata Capital is the right lender for all your housing needs. Visit our website for more details and check your home loan eligibility today!