One of the most exciting parts of stepping into adulthood is finally getting to drive around legally. If you can’t wait to take your car out on that liberating first solo drive, you must be wondering how to get a driving license. Before you get your driving license, you have to apply for a learner’s license.
Once you secure your learners’ license, there is a waiting period of 30 days before you can apply for your driving license.
Let’s take a look at how to apply for a driving license in India.
Can you apply for a driving license online?
Yes! You can apply for your driving license online through Parihavan Seva’s online portal. By applying online, your application number will be generated instantly. This number will help you track your license status all throughout the process.
Let us now explore how to get driving license online through the Sarathi portal.
How to get driving license online (step by step process)
Wondering how to get driving license online? Here are four steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website
Step 2: Select your state
Step 3: Fill out your application
Step 4: Attend your driving test
Step 1: Visit the official website of Parivahan Seva
The Ministry of Road Transport operates a website you must visit to apply. Upon opening the link, scroll down to the middle of the page. On the right, click on ‘Driving license related services’
Or, you can directly visit the Sarathi portal.
Step 2: Select your state to start your application process
You will be directed to the state selection page. Follow these steps:
- Select your state from the drop-down menu to enter the page where you will find the ‘Apply for learners’ on the top left corner
- Go to the ‘Instructions for filling the application’ tab
- Click ‘continue’ to start filling the application
Additional Read: – Things to Keep in Mind while Buying Bike for the First Time
Step 3: Filling up the application
To complete the application process successfully, the first step is to enter your learner’s license number and date of birth and click on continue.
Here, you will be directed to the page where you have to fill in the information in these steps:
- Applicant details: In the applicant details section, you have to give your name, phone number, permanent address, and all essential personal information.
- Documents: Upload the documents such as birth certificate, 10th-grade mark sheet, 12th-grade mark sheet, graduation/post graduation mark sheet, address proof, among others
- Photograph and signature: Upload your photograph and signature, which will appear on your driving license.
- Book your slot: Next, you have to book your test slot and your preferred test time, with your RTO. It is advised to pick a destination that is near to your address, to avoid any last-minute delay.
- Fee payment: After the slot is booked, you have to make the fee payment. Once the payment is done, your application will reach the RTO. You can make an online payment through net banking, UPI, and other online payment channels.
Once you finish these steps, you will be given an application number and a payment receipt. You can use this application number in the future to check the status of your driving license.
Additional Read: –Check out Safety Tips for Bike Riders
Step 4: Finally, attend the driving test – H3 Tag
All applicants should arrive at the test spot at least 30 minutes before the time of the test. At the test spot, an officer will assess your driving abilities and will also question you on the standard traffic rules and regulations.
Once you pass the test, the RTO will be informed, and you will receive your license within a few weeks. After your driving test, your fingerprint impression and photographs will be taken. Your application form along with other documents will be retained at the zonal office.
Remember that any instructor, parent, or guardian can not accompany you for your test. However, an inspector from the Transport Department will test you for your driving abilities. You also have to bring your own vehicle for your driving.
But, what happens if you fail your test? Don’t worry. You can apply for a retest after a waiting period. Generally, this is 7 days. So, use this time to polish your skills and to rectify your mistakes.
Want to own a vehicle once you attain the legal age to acquire a driving license? So, what are you waiting for?
Tata capital provides hassle-free two-wheeler loans with competitive interest rates, so you don’t have to worry about the money. Check out our bike loan interest rates to systematically plan your first ever ride in your own vehicle. Visit our website to learn more about our offerings, check your eligibility, and apply now.