One of the most exciting parts of stepping into adulthood is finally getting to drive around legally. If you can’t wait to take your car out on that liberating first solo drive, you must be wondering how to get a driving license. Before you get your driving license, you have to apply for a learner’s license. Once you secure it, there is a waiting period of 30 days before you can apply for your driving license.
Let’s take a look at how to apply for a driving license in India.
Visit the official website of Sarathi
The Ministry of Road Transport operates a website you must visit to apply. Follow next steps as below –
- Upon opening the link, scroll down to the middle of the page. On the right, click on ‘Driving license related services’
- You will be directed to the state selection page
- Select your state from the drop-down menu to enter the page where you will find the ‘Apply for learners’ on the top left corner
- Click here to go to the ‘Instructions for filling the application’ tab
- Click ‘continue’ to start filling the application
- Once you have submitted your learner’s application, you must come back to the same website after 30 days
Additional Read: – Things to Keep in Mind while Buying Bike for the First Time
Filling up the application
To complete the application process successfully, the first step is to enter your learner’s license number and date of birth and click on continue. Here, you will be directed to the page where you have to fill in the information in these steps:
- Applicant details where you have to give your name, phone number, permanent address, and all essential personal information
- Upload the documents such as birth certificate, 10th-grade mark sheet, 12th-grade mark sheet, graduation/post graduation mark sheet, address proof, among others
- Upload your photograph and signature, which will appear on your driving license.
- Next, you have to book your test slot and your preferred test time, with your RTO. It is advised to pick a destination that is near to your address, to avoid any last-minute delay
- After the slot is booked, you have to make the fee payment. Once the payment is done, your application will reach the RTO
Once you finish these steps, you will be given an application number and a payment receipt. You can use this application number in the future to check the status of your driving license.
Additional Read: – Check out Safety Tips for Bike Riders
Attend the driving test
All applicants should arrive at the test spot at least 30 minutes before the time of the test. At the test spot, an officer will assess your driving abilities and will also question you on the standard traffic rules and regulations. Once you pass the test, the RTO will be informed, and you will receive your license within a few weeks.
Want to own a vehicle once you attain the legal age to acquire a driving license? So, what are you waiting for?
Tata capital provides hassle-free two-wheeler loan with competitive interest rates, so you don’t have to worry about the money.
Check out our bike loan interest rates to systematically plan your first ever ride in your own vehicle.