As the last date of filing tax returns comes closer, it becomes crucial for you to ensure that all the work is officially done. It is beneficial for you to keep all the documents ready beforehand as it ensures that the entire tax filing process goes smoothly and quickly. While documentation is crucial, remember to make the right investments to save your Income Tax as well. Tata Capital Moneyfy is a digital platform that would help you in terms of making the right investment which is necessary for tax saving.
Speaking of documentation, Form 16 is one of the most important and sought-after forms when you talk about Income Tax Returns. Form 16 is basically a certificate that is issued to individuals who have a salary. If you happen to be a salaried person, your employer would issue you a Form 16 when tax is deducted from your salary and is deposited to the department of Income Tax. Form 16 is used by companies and establishments in providing details of deducted tax.
How does Form 16 work?
If you happen to be an individual with a salary of above the exemption limit of Rs. 2,50,000 a year, your employer would have to deduct the tax amount from your salary and then deposit the amount at the Income Tax department. The following are some points to note about what Form 16 works as:
- Form 16 certificate works as your Tax Deduction at Source certificate or TDS
- Form 16 works as a proof of information on your income
- Form 16 works as a proof of information on tax deductions
What comprises Form 16?
There are two components or parts, namely A and B of Form 16.
- Form 16-A: This contains information about you as an employee, your employer, PAN, TIN, and TAN details of your employer, your address, and your TDS deductions among other things.
- Form 16-B: This contains information on the salary that is paid by your employer, any other sources of income that you might have, and allowed deductions among other things.
Detailed information on the contents of Form 16
The following is a list of contents that are part of the Form 16:
- The tax payable balance which is paid by your employee, and refunds (if any) to your employee
- Details such as your employer’s name, TAN, PAN, tax deduction, etc.
- Details of the tax payment such as the amount of the tax, challan number, demand draft or DD number, and the cheque number
- Your personal information as the employee such as your name, your PAN, and your salary amount
- Acknowledgement from your employer about the taxes that have been paid
- Tax deducted according to section 191A
- Total income and tax deductions
- Details on gross salary, net salary, perks, and deductions
- The TDS receipt
- Declarations on tax payment by your employer
Additional Read: Find out How ELSS Can Be a Great Tax Saving Option
What is Form 16-A?
Your employer will be using the TRACES portal to generate Form 16-A for you. It will be verified and authenticated by your employer to ensure that the information and details on it are correct before handing it over to you.
The following are the details that are to be found in your Form 16-A:
- The name of your employer
- Your PAN
- The address of your employer
- TAN and PAN of your employer
- A certified summary of tax that has been deducted and then deposited by your employer
What is Form 16-B?
Form 16-B would serve as the annexure of Form 1-A. The following are the details that are to be found in your Form 16-B:
- Detailed breakup of your salary
- Deductions that fall under the section VIA of Income Tax Act
- Relief under the section 89
Additional Read: 5 Ways to Minimize your Taxes and Maximize Investments
- Where will I get the Form 16 from?
You will receive your Form 16 from your employer. You cannot download it from any website or portal.
- Will I need Form 16 if there has been no TDS deduction?
Form 16 is not required mandatorily if there is no TDS deduction.
- Do I not need to pay taxes if I have not been issued the Form 16 by my employer?
You need to pay the taxes if your salary is more than the permitted exemption limit.
If you are stressed about your financial goals and the procedures you need to follow, you might want to use Tata Capital Moneyfy App. It would provide you an easy online platform to complete your KYC, look at multiple options of investment, and make the processes easier, faster and better.